Based in Vancouver, BC
January 1, 2013
Press / Business Contact:
Silverstring Media is a game and narrative design studio in Vancouver, BC, crafting original games and providing services in digital place-making and storytelling. We are world-builders. We strive to push the boundaries of digital media, narratives, and architectural experiences, experimenting with form and content. Our aim is to bring diversity and hope to our stories and culture. Our team offers diverse expertise in storytelling, game design, architecture, production, writing, mobile and casual games, transmedia practices, narrative and experience design, music, and location-based experiences.
Silverstring Media was founded by writer and transmedia designer Lucas J.W. Johnson, who co-produced the kids adventure game The Time Tribe and created the experimental project Azrael's Stop. In 2013, he partnered with Claris Cyarron to transform the studio into something more. In their early days, Silverstring Media designed the story and narrative content for IndieCade and IGF nominated games Extrasolar (from Lazy 8 Studios) and Crypt of the Necrodancer (from Brace Yourself Games), and produced several of their own experimental games through 2013-2014, including critically-acclaimed and award-nominated Glitchhikers.
Today, Silverstring Media has hit a new era of growth following its previous successes in both original IP like Flow Weaver VR (in collaboration with Stitch Media) and Stories and Smoke, and assisting our wonderful clients with titles including Celeste, Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, and Timespinner. The in-house team has expanded to seven members with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, and experiences to help propel the studio to create new and exciting stories that excite our audience and challenge the status quo of what games and stories can be. Follow along for more exciting announcements coming soon!
There are currently no trailers available for Silverstring Media. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
There are far more images available for Silverstring Media, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Glitchhikers - Finalist for Best Indie Game" - Canadian Videogame Awards, 2014
- "Flow Weaver - Nominated for Best Virtual Reality Game" - Canadian Screen Awards, 2019
- "It would be hard to overstate the value that Silverstring Media added. They’re not just an exceptional writing team. They’re extraordinary game designers who helped shape the core mechanics for this award-winning project."
- Rob Jagnow, Extrasolar
- "Silverstring Media is the kind of game company that doesn’t call itself one – they prefer to think of themselves as “story designers” who also make games. They are committed to experimenting with new ways of making interactive experiences, and they have come up with some truly unique concepts. They are living proof that you don’t need to kowtow to the big players in the industry to make your dreams come to life."
- Alice Percy, Gamer-XP
- "No shortlist of new talent to work with in digital media would be complete without Silverstring Media on it."
- Brian Clark, GMD Studios
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Lucas J.W. Johnson
Founder, Studio Director
Co-Founder, Creative Director
Phil (as ceMelusine)